Monday, December 29, 2008

Under Armour and Nike Pro -- I was wrong

I had posted earlier that I wasn't sure if the quality of the big brand base layer running apparel would justify the price compared to something like the Target brand gear. I would like to recant that statement.

I received both Under Armour and Nike Pro gear for Christmas, and after several cold weather runs, I must say, I'm very impressed!

Both brands of gear blew me away with how comfortable, durable, and well designed they are. The multi-material construction allows the gear the have some insulation, as well as the wicking dryness.

In comparison, my cheaper stuff seems to be less durable (have had seams rip), less thermal (need more layers to stay warm), and more stinky. Oh, that's something I've come to notice. The technical material in the Target (Champion) base layer stuff tends to give off a strong, weird, synthetic smell -- especially when sweated in. My Nike Pro and Under Armour gear doesn't have the problem.

So, I guess I'm a convert -- and have taken the cool aid. That said, the big brands are still very expensive. $30 for a pair of Under Armour underwear? Ouch!

4 comments:

  1. Try more than $30 ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you like it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very true, but even a pair of Under Armour boxer brief style underwear (which can be worn under the tights) is $30. The stuff is definitely worth it though. Makes winter running much more enjoyable.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah I think he was just talking about just the UNDERWARE being $30 (which he does not have). Ouch is right!

    ReplyDelete