Saturday, December 27, 2008

Worst running conditions possible

I think I have discovered the weather scenario for the worst running conditions possible. Last night, the temperature got up to 40 degrees, and the snow was quickly melting all over the place. However, today it quickly dropped bellow freezing again...so all of that wonderfully melted water turned into ice.

All over the roads.

The streets throughout my neighborhood were covered in ice, with small patches of open tar here and there. I felt trapped as I skittered around trying to find somewhere I could let loose and run fast. It was very frustrating -- seeing as I haven't been able to really tear up the pavement for quite a while.

Finally, I went out onto the shoulder of the main highway. It was less icy, at least. I broke lose and started going at 5:45 pace for a quarter of a mile -- but I got nervous. Most cars do not move over to give me space. So when cars are zipping by about 5 feet away from me at 60 mph and I'm not sure how slippery the surface is, I have a hard time trusting that thin white line to keep them away from me. Needless to say, I decided to get back on the residential streets right away.

Hopefully, tomorrow will be better. No more highway running for me either.

1 comment:

  1. I run on a treadmill. The only thing that i have to worry about is losing my concentration looking at a pretty girl and then falling off.
    -Josh

    ReplyDelete