Tuesday, December 16, 2008

High tech running gear


Being a runner in the winter has given me a huge appreciation for technical running gear. You know what I'm talking about -- those sweat wicking materials that keep you dry and warm. Of course, most people immediately think of Under Armour's tighter fitting base layer stuff. In fact, a lot of people think that is the only high tech running apparel you need.

However, I've found that a technical long sleeve mid-layer is just as important in the cold. A thin, more loose fitting wicking material over my base layer seems to be the key to staying comfortable without feeling bulky and immobile.

In the past, I usually overlooked this, and just pulled a cotton long sleeve shirt over my "Under Armour". The problem is, I immediately start to feel like Ralphie getting bundled up in A Christmas Story. Not to mention, when I start to sweat, the cotton shirt soaks it up, getting heavier and colder. So one day I used a wicking long sleeve shirt instead. Because it felt so light and comfortable, I thought I was way underdressed; yet when I got outside I actually felt warmer than usual. Dryness in the mid layer goes a long way, even when you haven't really started sweating yet.

I don't really have a good outer layer jacket for running yet, so I can't comment on that. I'm looking for something that remains light weight, but offers some wind protection and warmth.

I also wanted to point out that I tend to buy somewhat off-brand stuff, like Target running apparel. It's just way cheaper than Under Armour or Nike. Yeah, it's cool to have a few big brand things, like a pullover hood or tights. But I'd really rather have two or three Target/Champion running shirts for the price of 1 Nike shirt. I just don't believe the quality is that different.

Let me know about your experiences with upper body running gear. Is the high cost of the Under Armour brand worth it? Are there other methods to feel warm, yet light and mobile? Do you prefer the Rocky Balboa gray sweats look?

No comments:

Post a Comment