Monday, December 15, 2008

Of Dogs and Runners

I don't know why, but when I run in my neighborhood, I frequently have a dog chase me down the road. Barking itself can be annoying, but being chased is sometimes scary. The positive side is that I usually record a pretty fast split time when that happens. Well, yesterday, I had a dog incident that took the cake.



I was running down the road, minding my own business when suddenly I heard a women yelling, "Oh **expletive** **beep** my **honk**. No! No!". I looked over, and these two big dogs on leashes were charging at me and growling. The owner, a woman, was holding onto the leashes -- but had been pulled off her feet and was being dragged across the snow on her stomach.

Those dogs really wanted to get me, as their legs where churning and driving with a frenzy, but they were moving very slowly, as the owner was gliding across her glistening snowy back yard on her belly.

I heard her say, "ouch!". For a moment, the thought entered my mind to stop and help -- as I consider myself a kind hearted guy. Then I looked at those dogs, growling and hell bent on getting a piece of me and thought, "they're your dogs lady, deal with it". So I picked up the pace and sped away until the ruckus in the distance faded to nothing.

2 comments:

  1. If you seriously have regular trouble with that, I suggest you carry some dog treats or even small chunks of meat or cheese. If you stop running and offer them some food, you just might diffuse the situation. But that means stopping - and maybe negative splits are more your style!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That reminds of a story where I was running and my brother was riding his bike. We were both kids at the time and this big dog was chasing us. I was running faster than my brother was riding his bike.

    ReplyDelete