Tuesday, December 23, 2008

More snow. More Running.

I'm trying to be an optimist when it comes to training opportunities during the winter. I've been doing a lot of running lately on snow and rather slippery surfaces. I think this actually helps strengthen the foot, calf and other stabilizing muscles -- which will then grow less tired during serious runs in better conditions.

It's hard to get a lot of speed when there isn't much traction out there, but it seems like a good chance to work on strength and running technique. I think a lot of runners put all of their eggs in the VO2 (lung capacity) basket, and don't take into account the fact that the body is constantly learning to move more efficiently. I think cognitively working on how efficiently your body runs can really boost this process.

Winter is also a great time to work on core strength and balance, which also helps your body move efficiently over a long period of time.

So I say, bring on winter! It's a good time to train.

No comments:

Post a Comment