Saturday, December 20, 2008

Blizzard Training


We had a really tough Minnesota blizzard today with horrible freezing wind and snow. So, I thought, what better way to try out my new running jacket than run in this storm? With looks of disbelief from my wife, I got suited up and darted out the door -- jaw firmly set, running headlong into the snowy abyss.

As I trudged down the road, in what was already 6 inches of snow, I had to keep my eyes squinted because the flakes hitting my face really hurt. I decided this workout was more crazy than wearing shorts with bare legs in the 12 ° F for my Christmas run with the co-workers yesterday.

However, I resolved that this adventure would make me tougher and stronger -- a better runner. Not to mention the excitement of being the only living person daring to be outside; other than the snowplow driver I met up with toward the end -- who stopped to see if I was either stranded, or heavily intoxicated.

Yet, I must admit, this run would have been a complete disaster if it had not been for the wind proof C9 running jacket I picked up at Target for $30 yesterday. The jacket was just freaking awesome! That freezing wind would have cut right through any clothing I usually wear and chilled me to the bone. But, with this jacket on, the wind couldn't touch me. I felt completely protected. While my face was frozen into a mask of immobility -- complete with frozen eyelashes and ice caked stubble beard; my body never felt cold. Even more impressive, the only thing I had on underneath was a base layer shirt.

Even better yet, the jacket is very lightweight and allows for complete mobility. I didn't get overheated, and the full zipper provides many options for ventilation. It is exactly what I had been looking for!

3 comments:

  1. Hello Footracer J. Your inspiration of running in a blizzard will make it easier for me to run at Lake Tahoe next weekend. It will be the first time that I'll be running in snowy conditions.

    I have a jacket similar to that which is put out by Pearl Izumi. Take care and keep on running. Happy Holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comment sfrunner. I think if people get past the fact that winter conditions will have a significant impact on their times, then snowy and cold conditions can actually be exciting as well as challenging to run in.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good job! Just be careful that you don't slip on the ice!

    ReplyDelete