Thursday, February 26, 2009

Longer Tempos

I've always been a strong proponent of speed work, as I really believe that getting your body used to running really fast will make less fast speeds seem easy. It has a lot to do with mental training.

In that same vein, I decided that my "3 mile tempo" workout (the standard workout I've always used) may not be serving the same idea. I decided if I run 5 mile tempos, then 3 mile 5Ks will seem like a short distance. Again, mental training. So I've been trying to increase the length of my tempo runs and have been very happy with it.

It also feel less mentally daunting to start out on a 4-5 mile tempo run because I know I can pace myself -- where with 3 miles, I really feel like I need to start running almost full tilt from the beginning.

Above all, I believe running often is the most effective. I think that is how the body best adapts itself to running more efficiently. In my mind, VO2Max (oxygen consumption) is nice, but if your body is slogging along with extra unnecessary movements and a momentum braking stride, you will wear out quickly no matter how good your lungs are.

No comments:

Post a Comment