Saturday, April 17, 2010

AHEF 5k

I ended up running in a charity 5K for literacy this morning. I was feeling a little tired during my warm up run beforehand, but my legs still felt relatively strong. I started the race with a strong conviction to keep an exact pace at the beginning: 6:10/mile. After crashing and burning in my recent 8k, I didn't want to take any chances. I kept the lap pace for the first mile right on target thanks to my GPS watch. I started the second mile thinking, "Wow, this is the most relaxed I've felt in the middle of a race. I actually have something left in the tank." By the time I got to the third mile, I was able to find the energy to hold on to my pace, where usually the wheels start coming off and I begin to slow down. I finished the race in 19:09 and placed 4th overall. I had some hope in the back of my mind that I would break 19 minutes, but I'm happy that I paced myself well. I think I did as well as I could have for that particular race. It's a flat course with the only challenges being the rough and crumbling path and brisk headwind when going along the river.

No comments:

Post a Comment