Saturday, February 13, 2010

Pulling on tights or wind pants -- throwing on layers of high tech fabrics. Daily. It's the life of a outdoor runner in Minnesota; for about 5 months at least. While it is a grind, the payoffs can be big.

Running high mileage has brought me to a new level that had escaped me for some time. During a run, it seems like I could physically go forever; yet it's the mental tedium that is difficult. The best mental trick I've found for going a long distance is to forget about how far you will be going or how far you've gone. I simply think, "I'm going to be running indefinitely, and I'm fine with that". It's like mentally settling in and being comfortable with it. This will definitely be a critical mind trick when I start creeping up toward 20 mile runs during the summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment