Saturday, April 18, 2009

AHEF 5K Race Report

I ran in the Bill Gallagher Memorial 5K this morning. I finished 4th overall and 2nd in my age group. I was hoping for a little faster time than the 19:18 my watch recorded (they just kept track of placings, not times), but I'm content.

At the starting line, there were a bunch of kids; which this race if famous for. I knew they would all start out like gangbusters, so I hung back a little bit from the starting line to let them have their fun. Sure enough, when the race started, those kids took off like they were running a 50 yard dash -- not a 3.1 mile run.

As the youngsters started dropping like flies in the first quarter mile, I found myself having to weave in and out of them. They would pretty much stop completely and start walking when they gave up their little sprint and I could hear their parents yelling to them to get out of the way. But, kids will be kids.

When all of the little ones were out of the way, I looked ahead and saw a couple of rather serious looking runners about 20 yards ahead of me. Knowing they were the leaders, I decided I would try to maintain my current distance behind them and hopefully have enough gas in the tank to make a move at the end.

The route consisted of old park bike paths which were quite crumbly and cracked. I noted that this surface was harder to run on than smooth, predictable streets. Your feet land at somewhat odd angles, which is a little harder on the muscles. Part of the route also looped around a small lake twice, so I did have to pass quite a few slower folks whom I was lapping. They usually didn't hear me coming and were not moving out of the way, so a little bit more bobbing and weaving there.

Coming around to the final mile, I noticed I was gaining a little bit on the leaders. The 2nd and 3rd place guys were only about 10 yards ahead of me. Suddenly, I turned a corner and the wind was very strong in our faces. It took a lot out of me, I'm not going to lie. I had a side ache soon after that, and at about the time I was planning to try to kick it down and try to pass the guys in front of me, I suddenly thought I was definitely going to throw up. So, I just held on as best I could and was very relieved to cross the finish line.

I was proud that I held back on the first mile, staying around 6:10 pace (in the past, I've gone much faster and crashed and burned in the middle of the race). Looking back, I'm not sure I would have done anything differently in that race. I ran the best I could with what I had that morning. I simply need to keep training and working at it. Not to mention, running a hard race like that is really the best training/workout you can get.

4 comments:

  1. Wow it's amazing how the wind can take it out of your sails! Congrats on a good run!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice work - way to push through to the finish. I bet if those ankle biters weren't in your way the race might have been different! But it's cool that you have a good attitude about the kids in the race, a lot of fast runners wouldn't be that way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If the crumbly trail was an issue for you it is most likely your shoes. Sounds like you are wearing thin soled shoe so you feel the uneven surface more than you would if you were using a shoe with support.
    In order to get used to passing slower runners you may want to train by running with people slower than you - then you would be used to those conditions.
    Overall it sounds like a good race if you got 2nd in your age group! Was it normal 5 year age groups or just two groups - 45 and younger in one group and 46 and over in the second group?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks guys. I knew this race was a fundraiser for the kids and I wanted to let the kids have their fun. It was great to see so many out there. It was exciting to have some more serious runners to compete with and try to strategize against as well. I don't know how the age groups were divided, I never checked.

    I think the heaviness and clunkiness of a thick shoe with more support would have outweighed the effect of a thin shoe on the crumbly surface :)

    ReplyDelete